Library Type: Public – Position Type: Non-MLS
- 20 hours a week with the opportunity for some additional hours. Starting pay rate $13.00 to 13.50 an hour. Pay rate adjustment may be made after 6-month probationary period.
- Resumes can be directed to Pamela Dunning, Director:
- Fax to 207-882-6698
- Email to email@example.com
- Mail to 21 High Street, Wiscasset, Maine 04578
- or hand deliver.
This position is responsible for staffing the Circulation area of the Library, and performing all the functions associated with that area. The primary responsibility of this position is assisting Library users in the Circulation area. In addition, the Library Clerk may staff other areas of the Library as necessary. This is a base 20 hour per week position, including every other Wednesday evening and every other Saturday required. Some flexibility in scheduling is needed, including availability to work extra hours on occasion to fill staffing needs. Required for this job are excellent customer services skills, computer competency and an ability to perform duties effectively in a timely manner.
- Greets and assists Library users in the Circulation area employing effective customer service skills.
- Performs all Circulation area functions effectively.
- Assists phone callers.
- Shelves, shelf-reads and organizes collections.
- Processes overdue notices.
- Staffs the Children’s Room, and other areas of the Library as necessary.
- Responsible for Library opening and closing procedures as assigned.
- Informs Library users of Library Conduct and Borrowing Policies, enforcing them when appropriate.
- May be assigned to book processing and mending.
- May be assigned to checking the NYT Best Sellers List.
- Checks in, checks out and renews Library materials.
- Informs Library users of the status of their Library records.
- Processes applications for, and issues, new Library cards.
- Processes overdue materials, including contacting borrowers by phone.
- May assist Library users in locating materials.
- Fields requests for new acquisitions and Interlibrary Loans.
- Assists Library users in making photocopies if necessary.
- Receives phone calls, and assists or transfers calls as necessary.
- Processes new library materials for circulation; repairs damaged materials.
- Notifies Library users of materials being held for them.
- Shelves Library materials; shelf reads and keeps materials in good order.
- Staffs other areas of the Library as needed.
- Performs or assists in Library opening and closing procedures.
- Assists in seeing that Library rules of conduct are observed by asking Library users to observe rules of conduct that are not being followed, and by informing Library administration when necessary..
- High School diploma or equivalency.
- Library skills sufficient to accomplish the duties listed above, “transferable” skills, or the ability to learn those skills. In particular, the ability to learn the use of the Dewey classification system, and other Library procedures is required.
- Computer skills sufficient to perform the functions of the online catalog and circulation modules of the Library’s automated Library system.
- Excellent public service skills are essential.
- Good clerical skills are required, including keyboarding.